Thursday, November 7, 2013

A Recipe

I am not a cook.Very truly, I am not. My kids are beyond picky, my husband is not a big fan of my cooking...so we stay in a slight rut of the same foods every week. Our menu usually consists of a makeshift tomato "sauce" and pasta, maybe spaghetti...flank steak, tacos...yea. It's boring. So, I ventured out into a recipe my husband found on WholeFoods.com,so I thought I'd share my experience with it.

Honey Glazed Pepper Crusted Roast

Honey-Glazed Black Pepper Roast Beef

The roast after it was seasoned with salt and pepper
The ingredients. Balsamic vinegar, pepper, coarse salt, and honey

 Serves 6 to 8

Enjoy this sweet and peppery beef with baked sweet potatoes or roasted broccoli. Leftover beef makes great roast beef sandwiches.

Ingredients

2 tbspcoarsley ground black pepper
1 tbspcoarse sea salt
1 (4 lb)beef top round roast
6 tbsphoney
3 tbspbalsamic vinegar
1 tbspexpeller-pressed canola oil

 Method

Preheat oven to 400°F. Rub beef all over with pepper and salt and place on a rack in a roasting pan. Roast beef, undisturbed, for an hour.

Meanwhile, whisk together honey, vinegar, and oil in a medium bowl. After 45 minutes of roasting, brush beef all over with honey mixture. Continue to cook 15 minutes then reduce oven temperature to 350°F. Roast 10 to 30 minutes more, until roast has reached desired degree of doneness, brushing it every 15 minutes with glaze. Note that the meat will continue cooking while it rests after being removed from the oven and the temperature will rise another 5 or 10 degrees. Let meat rest 15 minutes before slicing thinly. Serve with pan juices drizzled over the top.

It was pretty yummy!
**I followed the recipe exactly. The downfall, I am not sure if my oven is the culprit (sometimes it is), or what, but the meat came out over cooked. The flavor was really good, and I made smashed potatoes and green beans with it. Next time, I will cook it at 375 degrees for 45 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment